What is TN Visa?
The TN (Treaty National) visa was created under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) between Canada, United States and Mexico. It creates special economic and trade relationships between the North American Countries. The (TN) visa allows citizens of Canada and Mexico to work in the United States in certain positions listed under NAFTA.
There are two different types of TN status, a TN-1 for Canadian professionals and a TN-2 for Mexican professionals. This TN visa category is a viable alternative for Canadian and Mexican professionals seeking to work on a temporary basis in the United States. Moreover, they may also work for a Canadian or Mexican company in the U.S. when those companies are engaged in projects with U.S. based companies.
It is important to note that there are slight differences between the requirements for each TN category. The main difference is that a Mexican national must obtain a TN visa stamp from a U.S. consulate before they can enter the United States while Canadian professionals can apply for their visa stamp directly at the border. Mexican citizens, however, are not required to file a petition with the USCIS before seeking their visa at a consulate.
Eligibility Criteria for NAFTA Professionals to apply for (TN) Non-immigrant Status
Canadians and Mexicans may be eligible to work in the United States as NAFTA professionals under the following conditions:
- Applicant must be a citizen of Canada or Mexico.
- Applicant profession must qualify under the regulations; the job must be one of the professions in Appendix 1603.D.1 of the NAFTA. A list of acceptable occupations. Among the types of professionals who are eligible to seek admission as TN non-immigrants are Accountants, Engineers, Lawyers, Pharmacists, Scientists, and Teachers
- The position in the United States must requires a NAFTA professional
- Applicant must have a prearranged full-time or part-time job with a U.S. employer and must have a job offer Letter from an employer who is willing to file the application on his behalf. In fact, the employer is called the “Petitioner” and applicant, the employee, is called the “Beneficiary.”
- Applicant must ensure that he meets the specific requirements for the TN occupation. He must prove that he qualify for the Minimum Education Requirements or Alternative Credentials of the TN occupation for which he is applying. This means he must have a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura degree in a field related to the occupation, although some only require 5 years of relevant work experience.
TN Visa Essentials Documents:
- Valid passport
- Employer support letter
- Copy of your educational degree and transcripts
- Copy of your professional licenses
- Employment verification letters
- Basic information about the company
How can we help you?
We help qualified professional add value to the US economy by providing them with resources to work legally and have independence while on work visa.
We consider TN Visa & H1B’s who want to transfer. OPT’s- (We also Sponsor H1B & TN Visa Fresh Filing for eligible Candidates) Green card Holders (We also do GC Processing and EB3 to EB2 Conversions)
We are e-verify company easily discovers great new opportunities for TN visa sponsorship with us. Gain from over 17 years of Experience helping International workers.